Bad breath, also known as halitosis, is a common complaint and can be caused by a variety of lifestyle habits or health concerns. Dr. Albert Caves understands your personal concerns and will take the time during your visit to our Columbus, GA office to determine the cause and recommend appropriate treatment.
In many cases, a change in lifestyle habits or additional oral hygiene is sufficient to address chronic bad breath. Here are a few quick tips on how best to keep your breath fresh:
- -Brush and floss daily: brushing the teeth twice a day for two minutes (2X2) reduces bacteria in the mouth and removes food particles that become lodged and contribute to halitosis
- -Mouthwash: rinsing with an antiseptic mouthwash after brushing will boost the effects of tooth brushing. Avoid those containing alcohol, which dries the mouth and actually contribute to bad breath
- -Reduce or eliminate the use of tobacco products
- -Eat a healthy and varied diet with fruits and vegetables which can often naturally eliminate harmful bacteria in the mouth
- -Drink plenty of water
- -Chew sugar free gum after a meal
Bad Breath and Your Health
There are several health concerns that can also be the underlying cause of halitosis and should be addressed by Dr. Caves:
- -Gum disease or tooth cavities
- -The use of certain medications
- -Dry mouth, or xerostomia, caused by a variety of factors
- -Respiratory infections, pneumonia
- -Acid reflux
Halitosis can also signal systemic disease such as diabetes or liver and kidney problems.
When visiting with Dr. Caves, it is important to discuss your concerns about persistent bad breath so that he may assist you in identifying the cause and ensuring that any health concerns are addressed.
As your dentist, Dr. Caves is a partner in your overall health care and strives to help you maintain both a healthy smile and a healthy lifestyle!
Posted in: oral health